Students Awards and Scholarships
The Layman Family Scholarship
The Layman Family Scholarship Endowment was established by College of Nursing alumna
Debbie Layman (BSN, 1978) to assist outstanding pre-licensure nursing students who
have a desire to contribute to the Latino community.
CON Office of Student Affairs
|This $1000 award will be presented to a pre-licensure (BSN or CNL) student who meets
the following criteria:
- currently enrolled and in good academic standing;
- demonstrate competence and a strong interest in Hispanic/Latino heritage and culture;
- fluent in Spanish; and
- preference given to current or former employees and/or a children of a current or
former employees of Layman Wholesale Nurseries.
If no student meets criteria 2-4, the selection can be made at the discretion of
the CON Scholarship Committee.
Scholarship applicants must:
- Submit a compelling one page essay (maximum 400 words, typed Times New Roman 12 pt.
double-space) using the Scholarship Application Cover Sheet :
- describing their community involvement (i.e. volunteer work or involvement in school
or community organizations) and what they have learned through these experiences;
- discussing how they plan to utilize their education to contribute to their communities—specifically
in assisting the Latino community;
- providing specific background on how they acquired Spanish fluency and any other information
that supports evidence of fluency; and
- describing their financial need.
- Submit two recommendations, with one being from a faculty member using the Scholarship
Recommendation Cover Sheet and Scholarship Recommendation Form .
- Submit a copy of their most recent GRU transcript (will be pulled by the College of
Nursing Student Affairs Office).